Data Analytics Initiatives for Transmission and Distribution
EPRI's Distribution Modernization and Transmission Modernization research initiatives are designed to demonstrate and quantify the value of a selection of data-oriented applications that are most likely to be of high value to electric service providers within the next decade. There are literally dozens of opportunities in this arena to derive new value from existing data sets—and to identify emerging opportunities to utilize new smart grid sensor data and external data sets that may provide additional value. From Smart Meters to Phasor Measurement Units to Social Media, data oriented opportunities abound. The key to this research is in the application of a collaborative research model that minimizes duplication of efforts and maximizes the number and diversity of the demonstrations possible.
The project leverages the methodology and valuation models previously developed and defined by EPRI's Intelligrid Program and by the Smart Grid Demonstration Initiative. By considering these efforts along with some of the new developments in the EPRI Transmission, Distribution and Grid Ops & Planning Programs, the data analytics research can apply the relevant standards and guidelines to support demonstration of the data intensive components for the most promising applications.
We have a large industry collaborative with numerous stakeholders and utilities including:
- Ameren Services Company
- American Electric Power Service Corporation (AEP)
- Arizona Public Service Company (APS)
- Bonneville Power Administration (BPA)
- CenterPoint Energy
- Central Hudson Gas & Electric Corporation
- City Public Service San Antonio
- Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc.
- Consumers Energy
- DTE Energy
- Electric Power Board of Chattanooga (EPB)
- FirstEnergy Service Company
- Hydro One Networks, Inc.
- LG&E and KU Energy LLC
- Long Island Power Authority (LIP A)
- New York Power Authority (NYPA)
- Pepco Holdings, Inc.
- Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD)
- Salt River Project Agricultural Improvement and Power District (SRP)
- Seattle City Light
- Southern Company
- Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA)
- Tennessee Valley Public Power Association (TVPPA}